Military divorces require the skill and knowledge of an experienced military divorce attorney. At the Lafayette offices of Charley Hutchens, Professional Law Corporation, we have nearly three decades of experience handling divorces for service members and their families in Louisiana.
Guidance and Reassurance for You and Your Family
Contact Charley Hutchens
Where Do Service Members File for Divorce?
As a skilled Lafayette military divorce attorney, Charlie Hutchens can help you determine the where to file your divorce. There are limitations on where a service member or his or her spouse can file for divorce. You may be able to file in a number of different jurisdictions or states, including:
- Legal residence of the service member: A service member does not necessarily change his or her legal residence by moving. They can be stationed in one state and retain residency in another state.
- Legal residence of the service member's spouse: In the case of spouses, legal residence is not gained by simply moving to a new state. Every state has residency requirements that must be met. This can range from having just arrived in the state to having lived there for at least six years.
- State where the service member is stationed: Most states allow a service members or their spouses to file in the state they are stationed without having to meet minimum residency requirements.
Handling Every Aspect of Your Military Divorce
Under the Uniformed Services Former Spouses' Protection Act (USFSPA), courts can divide military retirement and pension funds in a divorce, just as they would any other type of community property. We can help you understand the community property laws in Louisiana and file for division of these assets with the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS).
In addition to handling military retirement and pension issues, we can also help you with any other aspect of your military divorce, including:
- Interstate or overseas child custody and visitation issues
- Parent relocation and modification of custody orders
- Health benefit issues for children of service members
- Spousal support and alimony
Contact a Lafayette Parent Relocation Attorney
Get the legal advice you need about military divorces from lawyer Charley Hutchens. Contact us to schedule a consultation to discuss your family concerns. All major credit cards are accepted.
Charley Hutchens, Professional Law Corporation
1704 W University Ave
Lafayette, LA 70506
The use of the Internet for communications with the firm will not establish an attorney-client relationship and messages containing confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent.